I have always made Jam but this year with all the fruits from the allotment I have made more than ever; Plum Jam, Fig Jam, Strawberry Jam and this one I am sharing with y'all. I love this delicious jam so much as for me its perfect for Autumn and winter. Its a perfect reminder of your harvest and tastes delicious on hot toast or even scones.
- 850g Bramley Apples
- 450g Blackberries
- 650g Caster Sugar
What to do ?
- Peel, core and slice the apples and place then in a wide pan along with half a cup of water and cook gently, stirring from time to time, until the apples are softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the blackberries with half a cup of blackberries until soft and pulpy
- If you don't want your jam to be pulpy, remove from heat and strain the blackberries through a sieve pressing down with a wooden spoon to push as much of the fruit through as possible. (I skipped this step).
- Add the blackberry mixture to the softened apples along with the sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves .
- Increase the heat and bring to boil, mean while place the 3 clean jam jars with he lids off in the oven and turn the temperature to 100C
- If you have a jam thermometer use it to ensure that its at 104C ( Jam is ready) if not then when the mixture looks thick and syrupy, remove from heat and use a cold saucer to see if its sets. do this buy putting a small spoonful on it and leaving it for a few minutes. If its jiggles the the jam is ready.
- Once setting point has been reached, remove from heat. If you want as I have done you can blend the mixture a bit so that you don't have bits in the jam then take the jars from the oven and pour the hot jam into them.
- Wipe an drips around the neck of the jar with a clean damp cloth and leave to cool then label. Store in a cool dark place.
*Disclaimer, as you can see from my recipe I use half the recommended sugar when jam making as I thing want the jams to be too sweet. However, this does increase the chances of it going off quicker as well.
Let me know how you get on if you decide to make the jam and I hope you enjoy it, I will talk to y'all soon.