So I turned 25 yesterday and I have mixed feeling about this age. I recently found a letter that I wrote to myself when I was about 16 and panning my future that was was meant to open when I was 25. My mother found the letter when I moved out at age 18 and something made her keep it and I am so happy that she did.
16-year-old Issie thought she was going to conquer the world. She had grandeur plans and although some of them have been realised and the majority have been pushed to 30 now.
So I thought I would share with you all 25 things I have learned in my 25 years.
- Living at home at this age is acceptable and event seen as smart. Why spend money on rent if you can live at home and save. Although at this point my mother and father are starting t wonder if I will ever move out.
- After years of studying you have finally found what you want to do with your life. So what if it means starting at the bottom at least you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel Although it also means that you now have to wake up at 6 every morning and can’t miss a day just because you can’t be bothered.
- So what if all your friends are getting married and having babies. Your time will come and its ok to be the only single friend. You are building your career and living that Bridget Jones life.
- You don’t have to have a lot of friends in your life. If people are not putting in the effort then just don’t stress yourself. Remove them from your life but also learn to reconcile with friends and family. Cherish your friends, you may never have friendship’s as strong or easy to maintain again.
- Exercise for yourself. Find something that you love and start going. Even if its by yourself. This is for your mental wellbeing not to just look good.
- Stop calling yourself fat and find some way of learning to love yourself
- Stop suffering in silence and learn to ask for help. This means monetary and therapy as well for those days you fall into the dark ebbs.
- Sometimes, your parents know what they are talking about. As you grow older so do they and just keep in mind that they will not always be around.
|Stopped at a guest house on the way to Ourika Valley, Marrakech|
- Comparing yourself to other people will not help you. It will deter you from your plans and just remember that the only person you should compare yourself to is your past self and the future self that you envision.
- No one has it together. We live in a world of social media and fast and numerous ways to communicate with each other and just remember that people only show the best of their lives. They too are just trying to figure it out.
- When in doubt choose the comfortable shoes. This one is for 19 years old Issie on that New Years Eve when you had to take those six inch heels off. Comfort can be stylish as well.
- You do not have to have it just because everyone else does.
- Be your own person and believe in your truth.
- Don’t lose your spirituality. Even if you do not go to church every Sunday just remember to have faith and to believe. God has gotten you this far and he will always be there unlike others around.
- Treat people with the respect that you want to be treated with and except nothing but the best. You are worth it and should not have to put up with people bulls**t.
- Learn to say NO and mean it. You can’t please everyone and you should even try.
- Recognise then you are in the wrong and apologise. This will make you the bigger person and you will not look weak.
- Do yoga every morning. You mental wellbeing needs it and remember to meditate.
- There is never enough money or time to do anything so plan your life and spend wisely. If you want a bag or holiday then save for it and just do it. You only have one life.
- Stop making excuses for him. Its a toxic relationship and its ok to be alone.
- Adele is Queen!! And I am a secret Belieber!
|Starting our decend after climbing up Atlas Mountain|
- Travel is important. Invest in it and go explore the world. There are so many places and things to see and experience and you should not restrict yourself to just this one corner of the world.
- This one I was actually discussing with my friend Leonard the other day. There is no universal definition of success. Marriage, houses and Making over 50k. Its important to some but not to others and that’s ok.
- There is not greater joy that staying in and relaxing. Being alone is great and learn to embrace those moments. They don’t come around often.
- Quality over quantity in everything. Learn to invest in friends, clothes and just everything.
Ok, so I said 25 but I just had to add this one. SAVE SAVE SAVE!! Just because you have money doesn’t mean you have to spend it.
I hope you enjoyed reading about mylife lessons so far and i would love to hear about what the chapters of you life have also taught you.
I will speak to y'all later.